How Important Is It to Visit A Pediatric Dentist for Your Kid?
A dentist’s visit often gives jitters to adults; one can only imagine the terror it instils in the kids’ minds. The unpleasant sight of deformed and rotten teeth could be intimidating for the children. Unlike adults, children often lack patience, and getting them to cooperate during the dental examination could be challenging.
A pediatric dentist knows how to examine and treat children; they also have specially designed equipment for kids. A professional pediatric dentist Brisbane will try to gain the scared child’s trust before examining them. Besides providing complete oral healthcare, the pediatric dentist will try to have a friendly environment for children to feel comfortable.
Treatments Provided by Pediatric Dentists
A pediatric dentist provides complete oral care for the kids. Standard treatment provided by the dentist will include:
- Regular examinations – Most of the habits are formed at a young age. For developing a healthy habit it is a good practice to visit the dentist at an early age. The dentist will be able to educate the child regarding oral habits.
- Preventive treatments – It is best to prevent cavities rather than curing them later. Fluoride application prevents cavities. While brushing teeth with fluoride toothpaste helps, it may not be very effective; kids need fluoride application either topically or systemic.
- Dental Fillings – When cavities are caused, it is necessary to clean the affected portions and fill them to eliminate any future damage. Composite resin fillings are used to fill in the gaps.
- Root Canal – In case of structural damage to the original tooth due to cavities, it may be necessary to treat it with a root canal treatment. The affected area is filled and capped with ceramic or metal implants.
- Space Maintainer – In case of premature falling of the teeth, it takes time for the new teeth to replace them, and the adjacent teeth may fall into the gap. To prevent this from happening, a space maintainer is used to maintain the new tooth’s space.
Healthy Habits for Oral Hygiene
Forming healthy habits at a young age goes a long way to prevent dental problems from happening in future. Brushing teeth twice a day, dental floss once a day, using fluoride toothpaste works wonders in preventing dental problems. It is important to supervise children in the initial years to prevent accidental swallowing of the paste or to hurt gums with toothbrushes.
Visiting the dentist at an early age helps build healthy dental habits. Regular examinations will help prevent the formation of cavities and plaque. Regular check-ups can prevent many conditions which require painful treatments at a later stage. Pediatric dentists also educate children on the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene and taking care of their teeth. Kids form healthier associations with the dentists and shed all apprehensions of visiting one when the problem arises.
Tia, and TipsfromTia.com is trying to keep you looking good and
feeling good, from the inside out. If you’ve got a problem or a tip email me! Be sure to Like and share on Facebook or Follow on Twitter or Instagram.