Damage Control: Simple Maintenance Tasks For A Trouble-Free Home
We all strive for a happy and healthy home for our families. However, a home is a bit like an engine. It requires regular care and maintenance to ensure it functions at an optimum level. Without this, damage can occur which puts both the house itself and your family’s health at risk. Follow these simple maintenance tips to enjoy a trouble-free home.
- Prevent Water Damage
Water can have a disastrous effect on your home. Even the smallest persistent leak can lead to a buildup of mold, mildew, and rot, eating away at the foundations. It can also attract termites, which love damp atmospheres. Take the following steps to prevent water causing long-term damage:
- Don’t clutter the space under your sink with cleaning products, etc. This is a place where leaks can occur, and too much clutter will make them less visible.
- Check for dark spots under your sink, under pipes, on the ceiling, in the basement and on external walls. If you notice a dark spot, call a plumber immediately.
- Check your roof at least once or twice a year. Look for chinks of light in your loft space to indicate missing tiles, etc. Use binoculars to check for roof or chimney damage. The presence of vegetation in your chimney may indicate the presence of water.
- Prevent Mold And Mildew
A buildup of mold and mildew in your home can have a negative effect on the occupants’ health. It causes blocked sinuses, sore throat, coughing and wheezing, eye and skin irritation and allergies. In some cases, it can also lead to chronic lung disease.
Mold and mildew are caused by humidity in the home. You may notice a warm, sticky atmosphere or your closets may smell.
Open windows and doors as often as possible to let fresh air circulate. Your best defense against humidity is to invest in a dehumidifier. This will filter out the humidity, creating a fresher and drier environment. Finding the right unit is important, so check out review sites such as DehumidifierWeb.
- Prevent Blocked Drains
Blocked drains are more than an irritation. They can cause leaks, structural damage, and flooding. To prevent your drains from blocking, take the following steps.
- Blockages are frequently caused by coffee grounds, soap scum, hair, and grease. Avoid putting these into the drains wherever possible.
- Collect cooking fats and oils in a container and dispose of them separately, rather than pouring them down the sink.
- Run the hot water tap after using the sink to clear the pipes.
- Install a drain cover to protect the drain’s opening and avoid clogging
- Keep your garbage disposal unit in good working order by running ice through the mechanism on a regular basis.
- Use baking soda and vinegar to clean the drain and keep it smelling fresh.
If warning signs are left or ignored, they can quickly escalate causing thousands of pounds worth of damage. When damage occurs, it can have a negative impact on your home, your health and your finances. It’s much quicker and cheaper to prevent problems from occurring. For the sake of an hour or so a month, you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes from running a well-maintained and efficient home.
Tia, and TipsfromTia.com is trying to keep you looking good and
feeling good, from the inside out. If you’ve got a problem or a tip email me! Be sure to Like and share on Facebook or Follow on Twitter or Instagram.